07 October 2008

My First Fifteen (And A Lesson Or Two In Folding).

I folded my first five cranes the day before I started this blog, so I figured I'd better post them already. You'll have to forgive the green background. I ended up using my St. Patrick's Battalion flag and my standing lamp to create my own little origami picture studio.

From Crane Album


I got all motivated to redecorate some of my room the other day, and this included adding some origami envelopes to my door to hold my magnetic poetry. I finished those and decided to start folding some cranes, resulting in the creation of this project. I about used the last of my paper for these. I also discovered that I never want to fold another crane in foil paper again, and white is actually a really fitting color for a crane.

I went out on Sunday and bought some more paper with my University Bookstore rebate (two 100 packs with ten different sizes of paper in ten different colors), where I was also directed to this brilliant website by a friend of mine. I fully intend to make a string of green striped and pink plaid cranes before the end of this project.

Anyway, I made use of my new paper yesterday when I decided to try my hand at a string of 2 and 3/8 inch square cranes (which all refused to face the same direction when I attempted to take this picture).

From Crane Album


It's actually a lot less frustrating than I expected, but you probably couldn't fold more than ten of these at a time. My hands were making some rather angry sounding popping noises by the end of this string. I also discovered that, while you can get away with some rather shoddy creasing when dealing with larger pieces of paper, a really crisp crease is key to not totally botching a 2 inch crane.

I decided, with this first pack, I'm folding by size, but with the second pack, I'm folding by color.

No comments: